Saturday, November 14, 2009

Back Home after a trip to Iowa

(Jan) On October 29 Chuck took me to the airport in Las Vegas so I could catch a flight to Kansas City with a 50 minutes stop to change planes in Houston. The fun began when we ran into thunderstorms west of Houston and it took us a half hour longer to land. With just 20 minutes to get from one terminal to the another, I hurried and ran, successfully made the tram and arrived just as they closed the door to the jetway. A clerk ran down to see if they would let me on the plane but the pilot said that no, the door was closed.015 - Copy Darn! So, after 11 hours and 3 flight changes later because of bad weather all across the middle of the U.S., I finally caught a flight to KC that landed at 2 A.M.! Luckily, I have a very understanding sister & brother-in-law who were willing to come and pick me up.  Thanks Linda and Richard, for the late night ride and your wonderful accommodations! Co-incidentally they were up waiting for the birth of granddaughter, Jenna, who arrived at 6 A.M.

005 - Copy

Linda and I drove up to Iowa the following day after she got to see her new little miss. The purpose of my trip was to spend some time with my mom and dad who have recently moved from their home of 59 years to a near-by assisted living place. They have a very nice apartment in a beautiful facility.  Dad recently got his new Hoveround, a motorized chair, so now he is able to get out and around the building. They are both adjusting to their new place, new people and many changes to their daily routines. We made it to 4 doctor’s appointments, 2 birthday parties, a hometown morning coffee stop and a couple of shopping excursions along with a good time visiting. 

My bother Glen and sister-in-law Mary Ann very graciously let me stay with them, 044fed and pampered me. Thanks guys, I really enjoyed getting to be with you!  We went to Bloomer’s Bar and Grill several times as well as enjoying pizza and beer at Godfathers and a wonderful breakfast at the local cafe. While in Iowa, I used my parent’s car so I made a couple of trips out to our farm as well as going to lunch and dinner with girlfriends and a Sunday trip to see Brent and Donna & kids in Ames. Brent’s birthday was on the 29th so I got to join the family for his birthday dinner at Hickory Farms Restaurant. Yummy and very fun!  Here’s Brent with daughter Libby.

Linda, her daughter Tracey and grandson Nick drove back up to Iowa the following week-end for mom’s birthday party and to take me back home with them so I could catch my flight out of KC back to Las Vegas. 006 - CopyThis time my flight went like clock work and I arrived back in Las Vegas at 7 p.m. MT where Chuck was waiting for me. It’s very good to be home!

‘The Steps’, south of Lake Havasu City, AZ, is the location of my home.  It’s a beautiful place right along side the Colorado River above the Parker Dam.  The weather has been in the 70’s and 80’s with a mild breeze. Chuck and I have been out hiking as well as meeting our new neighbors Bob and Nancy. We’ve been into town on a grocery run and also, to investigate a new Dish DVR system as our Dish control box has died. The sunsets have been glorious here and it sure is nice to be back together again!  Life is good.  001 - Copy

No comments:

 
room reservation in London