Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Trip back to Iowa

Ron Riesselman, Linda Gilliland, Jan Moore and Glen Riesselman (Jan) My brothers and sister and I headed back to Iowa on the 12th to spent time with our dad and mom who are now at home at the Swan House, an assisted living facility in Carroll, Iowa. It’s a warm, cheery place and we were happy to find both of them doing as well as possible. my mom,Dolores, me and my dad, Herb It is their home now and they are well taken care of by an awesome staff. We enjoyed visiting with mom and dad and sharing stories, taking pictures and even joined them at their exercise class.  One day my dad’s two youngest sisters came to visit and several days later his next younger brother Lawrence moved in across the hall! (Dad is the oldest of 12; eight boys and 4 girls.) Brother Ron, from California and his son John, Dad with his sisters Alice and Katiesister Linda, from Kansas, brother Glen, from Templeton, Iowa and I, also roamed through our childhood home and my parent’s home of 59 years in Halbur. We found so many memories, things mom and dad had used for a life time and many things that we had known growing up. Saturday evening we went to Mass together at the beautiful Holy Angels Church in tiny Roselle, Iowa and then headed to Glen’s where his wife Mary Ann treated us to a culinary feast! 

in front; mom, Stephen, Michael, Anne, Brent, Dad, Katie; in back, Donna with Madeleine and Libby and me.

Linda, Ron and John headed back on Monday but I stayed for another week or so. On Thursday our son Brent, wife Donna and family arrived to visit. Michael’s 9th birthday was on the 20th and my dad’s 94th Birthday is April 8th so we had dinner and cake together in the Swan House Dining Room. Cake with  9 candles for Michael's 9th Birthday and 9+4 for Dad's 94th Birthday

 

Glen took me to the airport last Tuesday and my flight  back to Phoenix was uneventful. I was met by my wonderful hubby and I was oh so happy to be home!

No comments:

 
room reservation in London