Saturday, September 8, 2012

Fibula Fracture

011When I fractured my fibula 2.5 weeks ago at Yellowsmoke Park, it was put in a Boot, I was instructed to stay off of my foot, ice it 4 times a day and go to my regular doctor for possible casting if necessary. Check, check and check.

This past Wednesday the swelling finally went down (my foot is still a little puffy) and I made an appointment with an excellent Orthopedic Surgeon at the Hospital attached to my mom’s Nursing home in Carroll.048 I couldn’t get in until next Wednesday so yesterday I decided to see if I could get an appointment with my regular doctor here in Manning. She was busy but I did get in at the Clinic to see Dr McLaws. He looked at the original X-Ray and said that the fracture could hardly be seen. I would probably be able to get a brace for my ankle and get into shoes again but he was concerned with the pain I had at the site of the fracture. He said that we needed to do an X-Ray to see if healing was occurring. After the viewing the X-Ray he came back in the exam room shaking his head. The hairline fracture had worsened and would now require pinning. (Chuck and I were able to view the X-Ray.) My choices were an Orthopedic Surgeons in Council Bluffs or Doctor Dulaney in Carroll who I had made an appointment with for next Wednesday. Being Friday afternoon, it was too late to schedule Surgery but Dr McLaws thinks that surgery can probably be scheduled for early next week.

Our MH is now parked down at our farm after a 3 day stay at Swan Lake so we (me in a wheel chair) could visit my mom. Since my foot is still in the boot, I’m pretty much confined to bed rest until surgery. Chuck has pulled out the sofa in the living room for me to ‘nest’ with my computer, books and TV or I can be in the bedroom. He is working with lots of genealogy material that he wants to get scanned and into his computer. There’s also time for him to catch up on correspondence with other genealogists. We sure are enjoying the peace and quiet here. And with the weather being a pleasant 75-80 during the day, our windows are open and we’re enjoying the cool breezes, listening to birdsong and the chirping of crickets.  

corn fields - looking southeast 059

5 comments:

BJ said...

Sorry to hear you will have to have surgery. You will be in our prayers.
~Betty from Oregon

Judy Luke Rinehimer said...

Will be thinking good thoughts. BTW, have you seen the new knee scooters. Looks like a kids scooter with handlebars but you put the knee of your bad foot on it. Allows mobility without any weight on the foot/leg below the knee.

Sharon Del Rosario said...

Sending hugs and prayers your way. We'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. Meanwhile, enjoy the peace and quiet, and having Chuck pamper you.

ourbusandus said...

Hey girlfriend, you look quite comfy all set up in your "daybed"! Hope you don't have to wait much longer before you can start walking again, broken bones are a real pain in the you know what! But, as I've heard, broken bones heal faster than sprained or strained ligaments, so guess you should be thankful for small favors...:)

Hugs, Sharon

ourbusandus said...

Hey girlfriend, you look quite comfy all set up in your "daybed"! Hope you don't have to wait much longer before you can start walking again, broken bones are a real pain in the you know what! But, as I've heard, broken bones heal faster than sprained or strained ligaments, so guess you should be thankful for small favors...:)

Hugs, Sharon

 
room reservation in London